Reddead

​Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Second Fastest-Selling Game Of 2018, So Far

Rockstar Games' brand-new prequel, Red Dead Redemption 2, has become the second fastest-selling game of 2018, following its release just three days ago.

​Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Second Fastest-Selling Game Of 2018, So Far

Rockstar Games' brand-new prequel, Red Dead Redemption 2, has become the second fastest-selling game of 2018, following its release just three days ago.

Currently holding onto the crown for this year's fastest-selling title is child-friendly FIFA 19. Toppling EA's football epic was always going to be a challenge, especially with it releasing for nearly every platform in existence - even last-gen devices.

 

18-rated Red Dead 2, however, only released for Xbox One and PS4. It managed to out do big hitter Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, though, and also knocked it down to second in this week's charts.

Credit: Rockstar Games
Credit: Rockstar Games

PS4 players made up the majority of opening week sales, with 68%. The remaining 32% came from Xbox One users (of course, its overall performance is only going to rocket if the rumoured PC version releases, whenever that may be).

According to the GfK UK charts, which only counts physical copies, Red Dead 2 managed to double sales from the series' 2010 original. Considering how popular boxed games were eight years ago, compared to our current digital download age, this is quite the feat.

Here's the full top 10 for this week:

 

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
3. FIFA 19
4. Forza Horizon 4
5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
6. Spider-Man
7. LEGO DC Super-Villains
8. Super Mario Party
10. Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy

Red Dead 2 also became the third fastest-selling non-FIFA title launched this generation, behind only Call of Duty: Black Ops III and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare [via Games Industry].

Although Red Dead 2 hasn't bettered Rockstar's previous title, GTA V, which sold two million copies in its first week, it's worth noting that the Wild West adventure launched on a Friday, whereas GTA V hit shelves on a Tuesday.

The Van der Linde gang has more than enough time break a few records and claim the highly sought after top spot, but with titles like Battlefield V, Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate yet to release this year - becoming the best of 2018 will result in all-out brawl this Christmas.

Credit: Rockstar Games
Credit: Rockstar Games

As said above, the charts only count physical sales - meaning overall sales are going to be miles more impressive.

But what do you think about this news so far? Have you played Red Dead 2? What's your favourite feature? Should it be number one?Let us know.

Featured Image Credit: Rockstar Games